Grilled Bourbon-Pecan Peaches with Ricotta and Basil
from Culture Cheese Magazine, Summer 2016 issue; www.culturecheesemag.com)
- ¾ C chopped pecans (southern IL pecans from Voss orchard or Missouri pecans if you want to source locally)
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- ¼ C dark brown sugar
- ¼ C sorghum molasses (can use regular molasses if you can’t find sorghum)
- 1 oz. good Kentucky Bourbon
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 4 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 C (8 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. When hot, place a medium-size sauce pan on the grill, away from the center.
Add pecans to sauce pan, tossing and stirring until lightly toasted (2-3 minutes). Add butter and stir until melted.
Add sugar, sorghum molasses, bourbon and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly (it will be dark and syrupy).
Brush peach halves with a thin layer of the sauce and grill for 4-6 minutes per side (until peaches have softened and you can see grill marks). To serve, plate each peach half cut side up, drizzle with spoonful of sauce and garnish with basil leaf.