The many ways to enjoy "little bloom on the prairie" our camembert goat cheese
Camembert trivia: This the cheese that inspired Salvador Dali's melting clocks in his painting "The Persistence of Memory".
Obazda: A great recipe for over-ripe camembert
Just mix 2 parts cheese with 1 part butter, paprika powder, a splash of beer and some chopped onions. Garnish with caraway seeds and chives
Other ideas for cooking with camembert (these are from a French person, so they must be good!):
- salad of apples, camembert, chestnuts, olive oil and balsamic vinegar is one of the best salads I know of. Vary the nut and try pears for a change!
- Camembert goes very well with jam. My personal favorites are cherry jam and blackberry jam. - Camembert tart. It's exquisite, but you'll have to live in a smelly, very smelly kitchen for days. I love it !... when others cook it.
- More exotic: camembert and honey go very well together. If you have puff pastry or philo dough, you can wrap a quarter of your wheel, then cook it in the oven, and pour good honey on it. Delicious and very unusual.
-I'm also thinking about a spinach-camembert, blackberry salad I loved, Camembert mashed potatoes
-Camembert omelet with variations (caramelized onion, salmon, tomato and arugula)
--Pasta with camembert and variations (roasted veg, artichoke hearts and lemon, rosemary and spinach and garlic)
Camembert-mushroom pasta recipe
Epicurious | October 2000
Makes 6 to 8 servings
This is a typical Norman recipe, a way to use up the little bits of cheese that somehow manage to end up on a cheese platter. It is delicious.
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Sea salt
- One 10-1/2 inch tart shell, pre-baked
- 1 Camembert cheese weighing about 9 ounces, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230C).
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Lay the slices of cheese evenly over the bottom of the pastry shell. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese, and bake in the center of the oven until golden and puffed, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, separate the tart from the mold, and transfer it to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
Outrageous Grilled Cheese
Recipe found in Every Day Rachel Ray
Simmer raisins n rum and maple syrup until plump (about 2 minutes).
Butter one side each of two slices of egg bread (challah or brioche) and toast, butter-side down, in a non-stick skillet.
Top both slices of bread with a layer of camembert style cheese, then press the moist raisins into one slice of cheese-topped bread.
Fold two slices of bread together (as in a sandwich) and cook, covered, turning once until cheese melts.
Serve and enjoy!